Jim works internationally out of his studio in north east Fife, Scotland to deliver consistently high quality music that crosses continents and defies genre. Alongside his extensive work for film and TV, he creates large scale arts events and collaborates with some of the world's top music artists. A polymath at heart, Jim also works on small bespoke projects and has and strong personal interest in encouraging new and emerging artists and working across artistic disciplines.
Recent highlights include:
• Awarded producer of the year in the Trad awards 2019
• Composed and produced station idents and continuity music for BBC ALBA TV channel (2019)
• Co-wrote and produced two tracks with Orwell prize winning author/rapper Darren (LOKI) Mcgarvey for multi award winning feature doc Schemebirds.(2019)
• Composed and produced 40 minutes of diegetic music, including four choral pieces for Netflix movie Outlaw King (2018). The project involved 120 musicians from the UK, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands and Spain.
• Produced SANS album (Finnish language) which won Etno category of Finland's Emmas (2018)
• Premiered three new commissions with his 36 piece European orchestra LA BANDA EUROPA at Celtic Connections festival (2017).
• Produced Eliza Carthy and the Wayward band's BIG MACHINE album which entered the UK album charts at number 26 (2017)
• Produced two songs for the OSCAR winning Disney/Pixar film BRAVE
• Delivered commissions that celebrated Marseilles as European Capital of Culture 2013 and Derry as UK city of Culture 2013.
• Awarded Composer of the Year at the Trad awards 2014 for his work on Struileag: an international Gaelic diaspora project which spawned a book, a CD and an internationally streamed show during the Commonwealth games in Glasgow.
Jim has performed and recorded with: Mumford and Sons, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, Jack Bruce, Emmy Lou Harris, Billy Bragg, Shotts and Dykehead pipe band, The Chieftains, The Bundhu Boys, Ali Farka Toure and others