Student funding

If you are looking for financial support to study music, your chosen college should be able to provide you with initial advice on the funding available to their students. Many colleges have a variety of bursaries and scholarships on offer and they may also be able to advise you how to access external funding.

Our Funding Wizard is a searchable database of funding sources for musicians. Other directories are offered by Turn2Us and The Countess of Munster Musical Trust. The Directory of Grant Making Trusts may also be able to help and can be found in libraries.


Students planning to undertake an undergraduate degree can visit the UK Government’s Student Finance pages for advice. Other sources of information include Scholarship Search, Student Cash Point, and The Guardian’s education pages. International students can access funding advice from the UK Council for International Student Affairs and the British Council.


The UK’s main independent providers of grants for postgraduate study in music are Help Musicians UK, the Countess of Munster Musical Trust, the Worshipful Company of Musicians and the Martin Musical Scholarship Fund. Many awards are run in collaboration with conservatoires and therefore are not open to general application. There are a number of smaller charities offering grants for postgraduate study – use our Funding Wizard or one of the directories listed above for further information.

For composers, the RVW Trust offers grants to postgraduate students of composition taking first masters degrees at British institutions.

Career Development Loans are commercial bank loans that can be used to help pay for work related learning. The Government will pay the interest on the loan while you are studying. Further information is available on the Government’s Professional and Career Development Loans page.