Young musicians under 18

You can find the details of other charitable organisations which can assist musicians of school age and details on our Funding Wizard. Turn2Us is a general directory of grants but may help you identify local sources of funding for young musicians. For advice on applying to a charitable trust or foundation, visit the Association of Charitable Foundations.

Other sources of funding information include the British Music & Drama Education Yearbook, published annually by Rhinegold, and the Directory of Grant Making Trusts. Both resources can be found in your local library.

For more information on borrowing or funding to purchase instruments, visit the Musical Instruments page on this site.

Music lessons

The availability of affordable music lessons is very much dependent upon where you live. While some local music services can offer subsidised tuition, particularly to low-income families, many no longer do. In the first instance, you should ask your school or music service whether any financial support is available. Music Mark has a directory of local music services.

Charitable support for regular instrumental lessons is very scarce. However, Awards for Young Musicians can provide grants for this purpose – the annual deadline for applications usually falls in March each year. Future Talent and the Wrightson Trust may also be able to help.

For advice on finding a teacher, visit which also has a directory of music teachers. Music for All is the charity of the UK musical instrument industry and their website offers help on finding a teacher and purchasing instruments.

Saturday schools, Junior Conservatoires and other Centres for Advanced Training

The Department for Education’s Music and Dance Scheme (MDS) offers Government Aided places to exceptionally talented young people at eight specialist independent music and dance schools across the UK. In addition, the MDS offers financial support to a network of Centres for Advanced Training (CATs), which includes the Junior Conservatoires, to enable them to offer subsidised places to young musicians. Further information about these scholarships should be sought from the relevant CAT. A full list can be found on the DfE website.

Most centres offer a range of other bursaries and assisted places where there is clear financial need. Parents are often asked to make a commitment to seeking additional funding from other sources. At a national level, organisations like Awards for Young Musicians and Future Talent may be able to help towards the cost of attending CATs. Other organisations to try include the Hattori Foundation and the Wrightson Trust. There may also be support available from your local authority or local charitable trusts.

Have you found a resource you think we should include on this page? Get in touch to let us know.