Frequently Asked Questions

If you've read the guidelines and still have questions about the Musicians' Hearing Health Scheme, see if your query is listed here.

If you have a question that isn’t answered below, please email or call 020 7239 9103. We'll update these FAQs over time.

How do I apply?

Just complete this simple form.You don’t need to call us to apply.

Is there a deadline?

It is a rolling scheme with no closing date. You can apply at any time.

How much will it cost me?

It costs £40 to join, and gives you a package worth over £300. You may be offered wax removal by Musicians' Hearing Services, which they will provide at a discounted rate of £40.

I am a member of the Hearing Passport Scheme – what does this new scheme mean for me?

You are eligible to join the Musicians' Hearing Health Scheme – just complete this simple form.

I will be away after my consultation with Musicians' Hearing Services, Can someone pick up my hearing protection on my behalf?

Ideally you will collect your hearing protection in person so that MHS can demonstrate the correct way to wear the earplugs. If this is not possible and you ask someone to collect on your behalf, you could always attend at a later date if you struggle with insertion.

I haven’t heard if my application has been successful yet.

Due to overwhelming interest it is taking us up to 15 working days to process applications rather than the advertised 5 working days. We apologise for any inconvenience, and are working hard to process all applications as quickly as possible. If you applied more than a month ago and haven’t heard from us, feel free to get in touch. Please note, this delay only refers to the Musicians’ Hearing Health Scheme. All other queries to Help Musicians UK will be dealt with within our standard time frames.

I am an employee and I would like to sign up all the musicians that work for me. What is the best way to do this?

The Musicians’ Hearing Health Scheme is designed for individual musicians, whether salaried or freelance. It is not a replacement for employer responsibilities under the Control of Noise At Work Regulations 2005 (CNAR). We encourage individuals to apply to us but are not able to accept applications submitted by an employer on behalf of a musician. If you are an employer, you can contact the Musicians' Union to discuss your responsibilities and liabilities under the CNAR 2005 legislation.