"Noise induced hearing loss is 100% preventable and 100% irreversible".
Paul Checkley, Musicians Hearing Services.
Hearing is a basic tool for musicians. Research shows that musicians suffer noise-induced hearing loss more than the general population. The effect of hearing loss for a musician can be a profound and sensitive issue. We are here to help you prevent it, or to cope with it should it happen.
In partnership with Musicians Hearing Services and the Musicians’ Union, we have created the Musicians Hearing Health Scheme for all musicians in the UK. This is a scheme to give all musicians affordable access to specialist hearing assessments and bespoke hearing protection.
The Musicians' Hearing Health Scheme offers the following:
- Free audiological assessment and ear check up from a specialist in musicians' hearing (worth up to £145)
- One set of free custom made, specialist musicians' ear plugs (worth £170)
- An automatic call back for a subsidised hearing test (for a cost of £20 – usually £90) every two years
- Expert advice on referral routes and next steps to manage any problems, including contact with your GP
- Option of wax removal if necessary at a subsidised rate of £40
January 2017: Birmingham
March 2017: Bristol
May 2017: Glasgow
July 2017: Newcastle
If you have a hearing emergency and need help, you can contact us via our Health & Welfare team. This scheme is for hearing loss prevention and any musician who needs our help with hearing problem will go through our normal channels.