In order to provide you with the right support, please complete this section with as much relevant detail as you can about any mental or physical health issues for which you are seeking support towards.
While you should give us as clear a picture as you can, for data protection reasons there is no need to go into detail about any medical conditions which do not specifically relate to this application. If further information is required, we will request it after reviewing your initial application.
Things to consider when answering this question:
- Explain in detail any physical and/or mental health issues you are experiencing
- Describe the effect this is having on you, including if/how it is affecting your ability to work
- Have you engaged with the NHS about this? If so, give some details on why you are seeking additional support from Help Musicians (eg there is a long waiting list for treatment, the treatment I need is not offered via the NHS, etc)
- If you are struggling with a medical issue, have any treatment options been suggested to you, either by the NHS or private practitioner?
- Have you made contact with BAPAM? (see below)
- Include any medical documents that are relevant to the issue for which you are seeking help. Please note, we do not need entire case histories spanning many years; if further information is required, we will request it at a later stage.
- Have you received a formal diagnosis from a medical professional which is directly relevant to the issue in question? If so, please include any medical documentation confirming the diagnosis to your application. If not, do you suspect a diagnosis, or are you actively pursuing one?
Other resources to be aware of
Music Minds Matter
Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, Music Minds Matter is Help Musicians' dedicated mental health support line and service for the whole UK music community. If you work in music and are struggling to cope, or know someone who is, talk to us. It doesn’t have to be a crisis, or about music. We’re here to listen, support and help at any time.
Call 0808 802 8008
If you have a medical problem – physical or psychological – which affects your ability to work in music we have a partnership with the British Association of Performing Arts Medicine (BAPAM) which entitles you to a free consultation. BAPAM give specialist health advice, and if further treatment is required, provide information about appropriate health care practitioners, taking into account your needs as a musician.