A musician with a guitar case on their back walks down a street in Edinburgh while pulling a suitcase

Thinking about working abroad and feeling confused by visas and work permits? Need some advice on customs regulations? Not quite sure what the rules are on moving equipment and goods? 

Performing abroad can be a complicated process at the best of times, but with new travel regulations after Brexit and changing rules with Covid, it can feel impossible to navigate the paperwork required to get back on the road. 

The service is open to all musicians and to the people helping musicians to tour.

This includes artist management, tour managers and promoters.

You will get a free 30-minute phone call (or email) with someone from the Viva La Visa* team with expertise in international touring and armed with all the latest information on touring Europe and beyond.

If you need specific guidance on visas, work permits, carnets, passports, customs regulations or any associated paperwork, then this service aims to support you.

This advice can be also accessed via email. 

*Viva La Visa, who provide this service, are specialists in entertainment travel. Find out more at www​.viv​a​lav​isa​.co​.uk

This is a free service.

It is part of a host of support offered by Help Musicians to help musicians to sustain their careers.

Both the Musicians Union (MU) and the Incorporated Society of Musicians (ISM) offer comprehensive information on working abroad, available online to non-members. We would recommend browsing through their resources as a first step.

Read the MU’s guidance on travelling to the EU and to the USA. For more detail on a country-by-country basis see the ISM’s European visa guide.

If you have any feedback on the service please email helpmusicians@​vivalavisa.​co.​uk

Are you thinking about touring? 

Musicians can apply to Help Musicians for financial support of up to £5,000 towards the cost of touring.