How to get help

Any hoarseness or change in voice that lasts longer than two weeks should be brought to the attention of your doctor. In addition to a medical history and physical exam, the doctor may examine the vocal cords internally with a small scope called a laryngoscope. In the case of paralysis, your doctor may also do a laryngeal electromyography that measures the electrical current in the vocal cords.  

Your doctor may refer you to a specialist vocal clinic.  Find out where your closest clinic is by using the map below.