If you’re looking to take your career to the next level, the MOBO Help Musicians Fund can provide financial support to help you create music, develop your business skills and drive your career forward. The MOBO Help Musicians Fund exists to facilitate these opportunities for musicians making hiphop, grime, R&B, soul, music of African origin, reggae, jazz and gospel.
You can apply for financial support of up to £3,000 towards recording and releasing music; and everything that goes around getting your music out there into the world. You could apply for financial support towards a new EP, a series of single releases, a marketing plan around new music or perhaps some content creation to accompany your release.
To help you build long-term, sustainable plans around your music business, we also facilitate one-to-one advice sessions from professionals in the music industry on topics chosen by you in your application. Take a look at the different business advice topics here.
When you’re busy creating music, it can be challenging to notice when things aren't quite right. As well as the above, you’ll also receive a health consultation from a specialist to talk through and address any issues.
- £3,000 in financial support towards your music
- one-to-one business advice sessions tailored to your individual needs and delivered via experienced music industry professionals, as coordinated by ThinkMusic
- one-to-one health consultation with British Association for Performing Arts Medicine (BAPAM) professionals, covering all aspects of a musician’s health, including physical and mental health needs and specialist referrals where required
Is this for me?
Applications are open to UK musicians aged 18+ working in music of black origin. The MOBO Help Musicians Fund has a focus on independent music creators who are controlling one or more aspects of their career (e.g. self-managing, self-releasing, self-producing). You can be a solo artist, composer, group member, songwriter, producer or a multidisciplinary artist.
See the full eligibility and application FAQ here.
When making an application please select 'Creative Activities' on the form
We want you to tell us what you need support with. So, if you need to, you can combine the types of support you apply for. For example, if you’re ready to record your next EP through the MOBO Help Musicians Fund, but you also want to learn how to mix and master your own record through Skills Development, then you can apply for both types of support at the same time.
There are two key factors that you need to bear in mind:
- The total must not exceed £5,000. For example, you could apply for £3,000 towards Recording & Releasing music and £1,500 towards Developing Your Skills at one time.
- The two combined elements must work together to form one plan.
Join a free Get Set session for advice on filling in an application
You may find it helpful to look through our Advice for Funding Applications for guidance on how to apply.